Marx "admired" Darwin; Gould admires Marx

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Aug 22 14:50:09 PDT 1998

The interpretation of Engels' Anti-Duhring statement has been a source of some controversy if not confusion. I recall that Justin Schwartz once described on the Marxism List a talk he gave on it (at the Aristotelian Society if I recall correctly) in which he concluded that he could not make clear sense of it and was doubtful that anyone could. However, that hasn't stopped various commentators from trying. Engels, himself attributed the provenance of his notion of freedom to Hegel but some writers like Roy Bhaskar have argued that that the actual meaning of it as understood by Engels and most classical Marxists was more Baconian and positivist. That nature obeys us only if we understand it and that knowledge is power, hence freedom. There is in fact a tradition in Marxist thought that is anti-teleological in orientation and which has indeed looked to Darwinian materialism as basis for understanding Marxist materialism.

Thus somewhere in his autobiography, *My Life,* Trotsky wrote: "If we are to use the language of biology, we would say that the rational law of history is realised through a natural selection of accidental facts." Likewise, Bukharin in his book *Historical Materialism* discussed the opposition between causal explanations and teleological explanations in the social sciences. He wrote:

"In a word, as soon as we wish really to understand social phenomena, we immediately find ourselves asking the question: "why?" i.e., we ask concerning the causes of the phenomena, in spite of the fact that these phenomena may be the expressions of certain human purposes. In other words, even if men should regulate everything consciously, and even if everything should be accomplished in society just as these men desire, we should still need an explanation of social phenomena, not teleology, but a consideration of the causes of the phenomena, i.e., the determination of a cause and effect relation, as their law. And for this reason there is no difference at all in this regard between the social sciences and the sciences concerned with nature."

It might of course be objected that such views are insufficiently dialectical. As I recall Lenin thought that Bukharin was rather weak on dialectics. However, my point is that there is a tradition within Marxism that draws towards Darwinian materialism just as conversely there have been thinkers going back to Marx & Engels but not excluding non-Marxists like Peirce, Dewey and as Winslow suggests, Whitehead who have sough to interpret Darwinism along dialectical lines.

Jim Farmelant

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]