la revolution

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Sat Aug 22 19:26:38 PDT 1998

Mark Jones wrote:

> My agent just told me that 4/5 of US citizens don't have a passport and
> never go abroad. You wouldn't be one of that unhappy majority, by any
> chance?
>
> Mark
>
> Paul Henry Rosenberg wrote:
> >
> > ...<SNIP>...
> >
> > I think this is a terribly out-of-date 19th-century view -- and
> > puritanical to boot! Today the problem isn't scarcity, but abundance.
> > It's overproduction that killing us. And above all overproduction of
> > "goods" that are, on balance, more bad than good.

Nizkor is not the only site that has a good reference on fallacies.

The following is an excerpt from Stephen Downes: Fallacies (http://www.assiniboinec.mb.ca/user/downes/fallacy/fall.htm)

Attacking the Person ( argumentum ad hominem )

Definition: The person presenting an argument is attacked instead of the argument itself. This takes many forms. For example, the person's character, nationality or religion may be attacked. Alternatively, it may be pointed out that a person stands to gain from a favourable outcome. Or, finally, a person may be attacked by association, or by the company he keeps. There are three major forms of Attacking the Person:

(1) ad hominem (abusive): instead of attacking an assertion, the argument attacks the person who made the assertion.

(2) ad hominem (circumstantial): instead of attacking an assertion the author points to the relationship between the person making the assertion and the person's circumstances.

(3) ad hominem (tu quoque): this form of attack on the person notes that a person does not practise what he preaches.

Mark is engaged in (2).

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"