Government Dividends, the Dangers of "Originality" Was: Re: Tax Return

bautiste at uswest.net bautiste at uswest.net
Sat Aug 22 22:27:41 PDT 1998

Carrol,

Your ode to Pound and Cantos brings back the good old days when I too pored over the cryptic sayings of the madman of St. Elizabeth's. While I agree with your estimation of his artistic pathos and sensibility, Pound was a barbarian when it came to politics. But I believe you have understood his economics better than I, and I would be hard-pressed to summarize his economic yawps with such elan as you.

Perhaps the shade of old Pound was moving about when I asked my question about paying people back for their tax investments. The sight of all that blood in Wesley Snipes' _Blade_ which I saw with my son last night may have awakened the old bard's fury in my imagination. Yet, I am not sure that I agree that what I was aksing was tantamount to government paying back the taxpayers.

To be quite honest, I was merely trying to turn the tables around on those who make so much noise about taxes and the government's role in business. If anything, the main point I want to understand is that the rightists talk about making government efficient and accountable to business criteria, but when the giveaways to business are added up they dwarf the so-called handouts to safety net programs.

Now I am not a Marxist ideologue of any sort. I understand Marx more in terms of Simone Weil's characterization of him as an anatomist of oppression, moreso than a systematician to be followed at all costs. I do not even know the "textbook" Marxist answer to my question.

I would like, however, to find a way to counter the notion that government should act like a business, talk like a business and dress like a business. Marx's criteria of efficiency in the name of the proletariat heads in the right direction. Efficiency with a human face. In trying to square that with "government for the people, by the people and of the people," I find myself left pondering the indecipherable, however.

I am still left with the feeling that the best government is no government. That's the anarcho-syndicalist side of me I guess. Since Simone Weil is a kind of hero for me, perhaps one could even think of it as my feminine side. :-)

chuck miller

-- http://www.users.uswest.net/~bautiste/index.htm