la revolution

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Aug 23 12:22:14 PDT 1998

More Carrolling --

> . . .
> (3) Now Max's idiotic ideas on Social Security. He has estimated what is
> "practical" to ask for -- i.e., he has given up the fight in advance,
> inviting the lime in the White House and Congress to gut the system by
> indicating that of course he wouldn't be so wildly impractical as to ask
> for the most obvious and simplest ways for "saving" the system (which,
> thank you, doesn't need saving, but must be blown up to save it
> nevertheless). What defenders of social security (if they/we existed in
> any organized way) ought to demand is something on the order of an
> exclusion of the firt %50,000 of wages from the employee's (but not from
> the employer's) tax payments, an elimination of any cap whatsoever, and
> the extension of the social security tax to all income (over $50,000
> gross), earned or unearned. OH, also, immediate raising of the minimum
> social security pension (wage earner, spouse, or disabled child) to,
> say, $75,000. Then we might just end up with something at least not too
> much worse than what we have.

Beautiful. Now tell me how in the wide world of sports you have determined that all these numbers add up, after you have bankrupted the system by eliminating most of the wage base and jumped the benefits up fivefold.

Borrowing a line from Dave Barry, this approach reflects the political-strategic instincts of margarine.

> . . .
> THe left depends on the existence of 10s of thousands of people like Max
> Sawicky, honest and committed liberals with the liberal delusion that
> all one needs to do is prove the need and possibility of something
> (forgetting that an appeal to reason is about a 5% appeal to reality).

>From which we can conclude that 95% of your appeal is
founded on unreason, which sounds about right. Now I see where your numbers come from.

> Such people in fact produce most of the ammunition that the left can use
> to load its political weapons. But nevertheless, sometimes (and re
> social security is one of those times) such liberals do act as though
> they were fucking paid agents of the Business Round Table or The Council
> on Foreign Relations. |;)

There you go again. FYI, I've never fucked any paid agents of the Business Round Table or CFR, though I'll try anything once.

In defense of idiots everywhere,

MBS