Tobin or not Tobin? It's just plain irrelevant...

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 14:26:15 PDT 1998

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Mark, The Wall Street Journal was maundering on the other day about the
> Russian economy having no global significance because its export and
> import totals were so tiny that a Russian collapse would have no impact.
>
> Could you (or anyone else) reply to that argument (if dismissing the
> lives of so many people counts as an argument).

The WSJ is not an oracle of my devotion, but to be honest I've been intrigued myself by the degree of weight which the markets/pundits/politicos have been giving to Moscow's meltdown, given the relative unimportance of Russia (it's GDP this year is just 5% of the US GDP, its economy smaller than Brazil's). Obviously a lot of hot money has been there, so that exaggerates impacts. But I think the real significance is political. Maybe that's the surprise: that the big swinging dicks notice anything more political than the shape of Monica's gob.

It's obviously important that Kiryenko has gone.

Mark