Cody's anti-homelessness (Re: Sorry)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon Aug 24 07:05:59 PDT 1998

Alec wrote:
> >Isn't the owner of Cody's making enemies among the homeless in Berkeley?
> >I heard that some homeless people painted a swastika or two on the
> >building (the owner being Jewish) because he was somehow involved in
> >anti-homeless activities of some sort. Is this so? What's the story?

Brad adds his two cents:>
> If one is going to make enemies, people who paint swastikas are probably
> the best kind of enemies to make...

This was before I lived in berk., but I know that there was some proposition passed that was regarded by many leftists there as being anti-homeless. It made illegal "aggressive panhandling"--I think panhandlers weren't allowed to get closer than three feet to a person. I believe the ordinance also made illegal sitting on the sidewalk. There was also alot of money involved for social programs--can't remember what, exactly. Alot of merchants were strong supporters of the proposition, and gave money to the campaign to pass it. The owner of Cody's was one. The owner of Cafe Mediterraneum (seen in The Graduate) was another. Berkeley far-leftists supported a boycott of these businesses. (maybe less far-leftists did, as well, I didn't know them). Knowing at least parts of that community, I am not at all surprised that one would paint a swastika on Cody's. They are a mean and intolerant bunch. Possibly a function of their youth...

Incidentally, I have never been in a city with as many mentally ill homeless people as Berkeley.

One last thing, the ordinance was, last I heard, deemed unconstitutional. Don't know if that's been overturned on appeal, though.

Frances