Cody's anti-homelessness (Re: Sorry)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon Aug 24 08:15:27 PDT 1998

The measure was seen as anti-homeless because of the restrictions on "aggressive panhandling" and sitting on sidewalks. Aggressive panhandling is open to interpretation. I might consider it aggressive if someone follows me for an entire city block, screaming at me because I didn't give him or her a dollar. Someone else might consider any panhandling aggressive. I thought Berkeley police were particularly, shall we say "proactive?", regarding the homeless. If you're homeless, and you can't sit on the sidewalk, where can you sit? You have to stay out of downtown and pretty much all the business districts. The ordinanance was condemned, rightly, I think, for placing undue restrictions on homeless people.

Frances