Two Questions

William S. Lear rael at dejanews.com
Mon Aug 24 09:37:55 PDT 1998

On Mon, August 24, 1998 at 12:12:30 (-0400) Michael Cohen writes:
> .... A
>priori, it seems to me however that the opportunities and problems
>shared by labor and Capital are symmetric.

Not true. Capital is already institutionally organized about profit. Which institutions it can then turn around and use in the political sphere. Labor has to organize itself and create institutions that can compete with these out of thin air ("solidarity").

>The question then if there are impediments to Labor organizations what
>are they and how can they be surmounted. If not, what is a overall
>strategy for strenthening Labor worldwide and in the United
>States given current difficulties.

First we have to ask, should we simply be fighting for better working conditions, or something more lasting? Perhaps the question is not what impediments there are to labor organizations, but what there are to those organizations which are capable of going beyond capitalism itself?

Bill