How important is racism? A short query to Kevin LaPalme

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 25 14:05:01 PDT 1998

Kevin assumes I show "epistemological arrogance" the emphasis I put on racism. Perhaps. Let's try clarifying the issue a bit. I have indicated (perhaps bending the stick, perhaps not) the priority I give to anti-racism as the core of achieving worker unity, whether it is for a better grievance procedure, the protection of women being really really shat upon at Mitsubishi here in Bloomington-Normal, the winning of representation votes, the mobilizing of strike support, you name it, small or large, reformist or revolutionary.

How important IS racism within the working class? Kevin, I'm asking what *you* think on that issue. Is it too trivial to discuss? Does it make a difference if the AFL-CIO (or anyone organizing for it) believes that inner city blacks are well fed? Etc. Etc.

What priority (as a working-class militant) do you give to the struggle against racism? High, but subordinate to -- What? Run-of-the-mill? Entirely irrelevant to class struggles?

Carrol