throttling back

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 25 17:45:30 PDT 1998

John K. Taber wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>[snip]
>> The IMF productivity measures differ wildly from those published by the
>> U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Inquiries to both the IMF and the BLS
>> about why this is have gone unanswered.
>
>Now *that's* interesting. I get uncomfortable when two different
>experts measure the same things and get different results, except
>when I read the Journal of Irreproducible Results.
>
>Do you suppose that the amount of error is so great that accurate
>figures are not obtainable?
>
>Or, what?

I wish I knew. Worse for the IMF, their period averages don't equal the averages of the yearly numbers. They couldn't explain this either. I'm looking to see if the October issue of the World Economic Outlook quietly reconciles the contradictions. Though I understand they're down to their last $30 billion.

Doug