Hunger in Pennsylvania

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Wed Aug 26 08:43:08 PDT 1998

Dear Maggie,

>From what I know and what I've seen economic conditions in the Appalachian region
were steadily improving up until the raygun recession of the early 1980's when" the region imploded." Since then only in the last five years have conditions started to improve again in certain parts of Appalachia connected to the national economic engine.

Some of the Federal anti-poverty programs were a mixed blessing to the region. For example I remember United States Senator Jay Rockefeller when he was a Vista Volunteer in the mid-1960's in WV 25304. Back then Jay wore a hunting coat,drove a jeep and seemed to be a friendly fellow to me. The above quotation is from Senator Rockefeller. Although in the final analysis it must be remembered that Jay is looking out for his personal interests and that the Rockefeller family has given this country such gifts as the Ludlow massacre and Henry Kissinger. Of course it could always be worse...

Pockets of poverty created by the demise of the one or two local industries in an isolated area are usually enough to create real pain in Appalachia. There is no mechanism to organize or fund viable substitute industries in these areas. If that's even possible considering globalization and pressure from foreign manufacturers, not to mention domestic competition.

I sent Doug a story sometime ago of how the Columbus, Ohio area is preparing for an influx of immigrants from Appalachia seeking jobs because of welfare cuts in WV in particular.

Sincerely, Tom