throttling back

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 26 09:19:56 PDT 1998

Brad De Long wrote:

>Re:
>>
>>I wish I knew. Worse for the IMF, their period averages don't equal the
>>averages of the yearly numbers. They couldn't explain this either. I'm
>>looking to see if the October issue of the World Economic Outlook quietly
>>reconciles the contradictions. Though I understand they're down to their
>>last $30 billion.
>>
>>Doug
>
>Details handy?

Ok. Here are the German numbers, from the May 1998 WEO and the BLS website:

IMF BLS

1989-98 3.6%

1989 3.1% 3.1%

1990 3.5% 4.9%

1991 2.9% 3.0%

1992 4.0% -2.0%

1993 3.2% 0.4%

1994 8.6% 7.6%

1995 5.2% 2.9%

1996 5.5% 4.1%

1997 3.8% 3.8%

1998 3.5%

avg 4.3%

The "avg" row is the arithmetic average of the yearly figures; a compound figure would be slightly lower, but still nowhere near their 3.6%. The IMF press person explained that sometimes their averages include years not shown, which would be a neat trick in this case.

Doug