la revolution

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Wed Aug 26 09:33:26 PDT 1998

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Enrique Diaz-Alvarez wrote:
>
> > why do you think that proportional representation is more conducive to
> > social democracy than first past the post?
>
> With PR, 5% of the
> votes gets 5% of the seats, so small and medium-size parties can flourish.

Yes, I understand that FPTP means two party rule, and PR many little parties. However, I still don't see the necessary connection between two-party rule and a stunted welfare state. Britain instituted a very advanced (at the time) natonal health care system in the 40's. France has moved to a FPTP system recently to prevent the neofascists from getting any deputies, and social democracy is alive and kicking there. Why doesn't the US have a center-left party and a hard-left one, instead of the current Demopublicacy?

I suspect that PR or FPTP have a lot less to do with it than the way campaings are funded. If the US moved to a PR system, a seat in congress would still require to extract one to 20 million dollars from donors. We may end up with a small nutjob libertarian party, a larger Christian fundamentalist party, a large-corp. party (from which a small-business party would probably split eventually), and smaller union, black and hispanic parties. Politics would still be dominated by the right-wing coalitions that can afford all the TV ads, just like it is today.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 758 8962 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique