First world prosperity

Wed Aug 26 12:21:19 PDT 1998

There is a historical dimension to the booty that imperilism has accumulated from its colonies. In the case of the U.S. the whole country is plunder from the indigenous peoples. Where would the other 95% of your count below go if all of the European descendants had to return to Europe ? In earlier years of capitalism a lot of wealth was accumulated from colonies that is the basis for today's wealth.

Also, in your numbers below, how are profits made from transnational (yet, U.S. ) capital in located in other countries counted ? Imperialism has been characterized by export of capital since the beginning of the 1900's (Imperialism: The Highest Stage of Capitalism). The profit from this U.S. capital in other countries is it counted as wealth in the U.S from other countries ? Is it counted as goods and services from other countries ?

The ripoff of the thirdworld is not in terms of goods and services bought from the third world, but rather surplus-value exploited from the third world. In earlier years there were a lot of natural resources plundered. Even today, is oil extracted by oil transnationals recorded as goods and services purchased "by the U.S." ?

Charles Brown

Detroit

Workers of the West , it's our turn.

>>> Enrique Diaz-Alvarez <enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu> 08/26 12:04 PM >>>
In this list, the inescapable fact that large majorities of first world populations enjoy a prosperous lifestyle is sometimes dismissed as the result of imperialist plunder and exploitation of the third world. This gives lefties a warm, fuzzy, self-righteous feeling, and it has great value for that reason alone.

However, US imports of goods and services from the rest of the world amount to, what, 12% of national income. Most of this trade is with the first world. Since I am too lazy to go look up exact numbers, I'll say that imports in goods and services from the third world amount to 5% of national income.

Doesn't this place a rough upper bound of 5% in the amount of US prosperity that can be explained away as imperialist plunder?

Of course, this upper bound assumes that those nations get nothing in return for those goods and services they send our way. Now, a lot of our exports to the third world may be in the form of F-16 and financial consultants, but I am sure that a few Volvo trucks and Caterpillar excavators wind up there as well. So this 5% would be further reduced.

Am I missing something?

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 758 8962 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique