Mother Jones

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 26 22:45:59 PDT 1998

Peter Kilander writes:

>I hate to admit it, but all of the following went over my head.
>
>>Yeah. Actually, I'm sort of guessing/hoping T. Frank will write a
piece
>>on "That 70's Show" using a remake of Big Star's "In the Street" as
the
>>show opener.

"That 70's Show" is a new television show brand in the line of 70s retro entertainment products. Big Star is from Memphis, early 70s, a cornerstone power pop band, and a band whose "authenticity" shall we say still stands the test of time thanks to the talents of Alex Chilton and Chris Bell. Lately I think Chris Bell was the real shaper of the music, Chilton the front man girl swooner type. The whole Chris Bell/Alex Chilton story is too much to go into here. Suffice to say Bell only stayed with the band the first two albums, then left to pursue his own work, as heard in the great album "I Am the Cosmos." He died in an "accidental" car wreck, though he had attempted suicide twice before, as he sings about in one of the songs on his album.

(I know it's time to lose hope when anything off of Chris
>>Bell's _I Am the Cosmos_ suffers such indignity)
>>
>>I could go on, but you must excuse me, a very nice boy and I shared a
>>buddy booth at lunch hour today,

The coyly named buddy booth is a feature of some adult bookstores, a hall in the back lined with small booths with bull's-eyed holes (often for the timid or beginner) drilled in the partitions between them. It's basically a place where men meet for anonymous sex-acts.

and I've got a case of Cockburn (the
>>good kind).

As opposed to, say, Clinton's "rockets in his pockets".

-Alec