Sudan bombing

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Aug 27 08:30:39 PDT 1998

Thought I'd share this from today's Financial Times: Blair 'hasty' in backing Sudan strike By Robert Peston, Political Editor The UK Foreign Office is increasingly concerned that the US last week bombed an innocent target when destroying a pharmaceutical factory in Sudan. Senior officials believe Tony Blair, prime minister, was too hasty in backing President Bill Clinton's strike on the plant in Khartoum. "A country like the United States, when its citizens are under attack in this way and when they are at risk, must have the right to defend itself and we support our allies in this cause," Mr Blair said. A Foreign Office official said Mr Blair's support for the US was "knee-jerk and a bit obtuse". He said the UK had not obtained any independent evidence that the factory had a military purpose or was linked to the international terrorist, Osama bin Laden. [end of excerpt] Am still waiting for details on that soil sample! Carl Remick