First world prosperity

Thu Aug 27 09:07:01 PDT 1998

>I doubt that this is the real recipe. Usually one can eat nuts without any
>kind of leaching. What is your citation? Is it from that Incarnation of All
>That Is Evil, Martha Stewart?

According to Jared Diamond, at least, many of the nuts we eat are mutants: wild almonds have enough cyanide in them to kill you.

The acorns we have on on our property have lots of bitter tannins in them...

>My reading of Marvin Harris, etc., is that you're right about the relative
>amount of work women did relative to men, but that _all_ had more leisure.
>I also think that this labor is less alienated, in that it's done for the
>collective -- the survival of the extended family, clan, and tribe --
>rather than to provide tribute to some ruling class.

There is an argument that the invention of agriculture was--in anything but the longest of runs--a bad thing: it means you can't run away when the thugs-with-spears show up demanding tribute...

Brad DeLong