Cuba's Destiny

Thu Aug 27 15:42:06 PDT 1998

I thank Mark for the kind words (I think). I did not respond to him privately on Stalinism because I have neither studied the violence of the collectivization process nor the liquidation of Bukharin and Preobrazhensky in the Soviet Union nor the council communist critiques of the Soviet Union (before Hitler's power grab as well as after) nor critical histories of the twist and turns of the Comintern (e.g., Borkenau) not only vis a vis the German Communists but also the Chinese and Indian Communists. So much for being a member of the illuminati.

I do think Richard B Day's critique of Stalinist political economy in the Crisis and the Crash (Verso, 1981) tellingly reveals the degeneration of debate and theory in the 1920s and 1930s. The degeneration in philosophy seems only more monstrous.

I do have a theoretical interest in several Stalinists: TA Jackson, Christopher Caudwell, Alfred Sohn Rethel, William J Blake and of course Henryk Grossmann, but it seems to each and every one of them was either expelled or marginalized--bearing out the critique of the Bolsheviks by Luxemburg and the left communists: Pannekoek, Gorter, Rolst (those dismissed by Lenin as infantile as he backtracked from the radical promises of State and Revolution).

By the way, I tried to recheck out of the library Paresh Chattophyay's The Marxian Concept of Capital and the Soviet Experience, but it was missing. Hope to find it later.
> What does it mean for a Cuban to 'be free'? Does it mean, to have a
> right to earn dollars freely, go on day trips to Miami to spend them
> freely on gorceries, souvenirs and whores? Or does Rakesh's vision
> of freedom denied to Cubans encompass something a little less philistine?

No freedom means that the product no longer dominates the producer; it means a free association of prouducers as they build relations among each other from the bottom up. It does not mean the state control of production; freedom is not state communism. Marx's view of freedom can only be recovered via a critique of the state communism defended in his name by revisionists like the Austro Marxists and the Bolsheviks alike. I am presently reading a remarkable council communist critique from the 1930s of the Soviet Union; it also speaks to Marx's Critique of the Gotha Programme. Will have to read it carefully first.

Yours, Rakesh