Trade & the American Indians

bautiste at uswest.net bautiste at uswest.net
Thu Aug 27 19:13:48 PDT 1998

Tom,

Even more than what you say here is the notion that the Native Americans were very open to peaceful co-existence. In almost all cases, it was the Europeans who pushed violence and aggressive acquisition of property and resources. In many instances, the natives tribes sought peace with the Europeans. There was a tradition among many tribes of living in a "multi-cultural" environment. Even with very war-like tribes like the Hurons and Iroquois, you had rather low-scale war parties bent on retaliation and not extermination like the Europeans attempted. Even the great Iroquois and Huron were played off against each other by the Europeans.

There are at least two instances when Natives posed a real threat to European hegemony of the continent: Tecumseh and the Ghost Dance. Tecumseh had the Federal government forces on the defensive. His pan-Indian appeal brought together tribes that never before had fought together. Only when Harrison tricked Tecunseh's brother into engaging in battle while the great chief was away, were the federalists able to defeat his threat.

The Ghost Dance also brought together tribes with very different traditions. There was no great leader like Tecumseh, however, who arose. The forces were less consolidated and the fighting was done in a very nihilistic, individual way. The promise of unity was there, but there was no one person or group to focus that unity into a concerted effort.

chuck miller

-- http://www.users.uswest.net/~bautiste/index.htm