Cuba's destiny

Juliana Shearer julie at siliconengines-ltd.com
Fri Aug 28 13:40:23 PDT 1998

James Devine asked about World Bank data on "the poor" in Cuba, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Puerto Rico.

This raises for me the question of how to determine quality of life from one place to the next, whether for people considered poor, and those who are considered middle-class intellectuals.

I'd like to say it's impossible, but in order to at least come up with some comparisons, I'd be inclined to start with some of the indices developed by the UN and others and go from there (ala Partha Dasgupta).

Still haven't figured out how to use the scanner for posting data, but I'll make that my week-end project.

The World Bank (97 development report) figures for per capita GNP; PPP GNP; poverty (defined as % of people living on less than $1/day); life expectancy at birth (in years); adult illiteracy; share of income/consumption for the lowest 10% of the population: Cuba ? ? ? 76 4% ? Mexico $3,320 $6,400 14.9 72 10% 1.6% Guatemala $1,340 $3,340 53.3 66 44% 0.6% Costa Rica $2,610 $5,850 18.9 77 5% 1.2% Puerto Rico ? ? ? 75 ? ?

As usual, statistics aren't necessarily that helpful. Who's better off here?? The literate Costa Ricans who have less money than the shorter-living Mexicans?

Once you get into the UN figures, it gets too complicated to post. Besides, I'd imagine all the economist types around here are watching the market now, anyway.

Julie Shearer