FWD: Roach sees relief

DICKENS, EDWIN (973)-408-3024 EDICKENS at DREW.EDU
Fri Aug 28 19:19:44 PDT 1998

A solvency crisis means that banks, etc., have liabilities in excess of their assets, even on the most optimistic valuations of the latter. (As opposed to a liquidity crisis, where assets are supposed to be greated than liabilities, it's just that the assets are temporarily failing to generate enough cash inflows to meet payment commitments on the liabilities.) Yes, I'd say we've got the makings of a solvency crisis or, to use a different terminology, the makings of a crisis of overproduction. Roach wants the Fed to liquify Morgan Stanley's assets. J. Grant and his ilk will blame the Fed for not tightening earlier and eagerly anticipate liquidation. Liquidate labor, liquidate farmers, liquidate real estate Treasury Secretary Mellon would say. I'm sure this list will thoroughly debate the issues of revolution versus reform.

Edwin Dickens

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: "Doug Henwood"@mr.drew.edu Subject: Re: FWD: Roach sees relief Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:18:38 EST Size: 2792 URL: <../attachments/19980828/38a91310/attachment.eml>