student suspended for personal Web site content (fwd)

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Sat Aug 29 17:12:29 PDT 1998

Michael Hoover wrote:

> > CNET News August 28, 1998, 1:35 p.m. PT
> >
> > ...<SNIP>...
> >
> > "Schools have somewhat greater leeway to regulate students' speech
> > within the school, than for example the government has to regulate adult
> > speech," said David Cole, a constitutional law professor at the
> > Georgetown University Law Center. "But as far as I know, that greater
> > leeway has never been extended to student speech outside the school
> > setting, nor should it."
> > --

In high school I ran for student council on a platform attacking the council for its utter powerlessness. Unlike other candidates who duly turned out campaign posters, I created actual campaign literature--leaflets. I was informed by the principal that this was illegal--it constituted littering. I couldn't believe it. He'd made my point far more eloquently and emphatically than I could ever dreamed of doing.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"