How important is racism? A short query to Kevin LaPalme

james withrow withrow21 at webtv.net
Sat Aug 29 21:12:38 PDT 1998

Alec's post may be right on the mark. If it is, though, I'll never know. For instance,

"That said, the ideological operation of building union consciousness does not necessarily subsume a deconstruction of racist or sexist ideologies. In fact the dismissal of racism and sexism as mere secondary behaviors of disrespect dangerously ignores a multiplicity of ideological operations (or leaves them opaque)."

I have no idea what this means. Even if I do come to understand it, I'll need to explain it to others, so work with me here, please.

Let me also work in a phrase from the introduction of Christopher Lasch's "The True and Only Heaven." (I'm remembering rather than quoting.) more or less: Class consciousness is more a function of habit than it is of people realizing they have mutual economic interests.

I really doubt if anti-racism is any different. Unions can provide a venue for people of different backgrounds coming together in common cause.

A couple other notes: "Gypsies, Tramps , and Thieves" is also from a 70s Cher album of the same name.

For Louis Proyect: If I can't have an interracial sexual relationship with another gorgeous consenting adult, then I don't want any part of your revolution. (And would you mind posting a shot of your cop-attracting thighs. I bet half the list is dying to judge for ourselves.)

James

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: "alec ramsdell" <a_ramsdell at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: How important is racism? A short query to Kevin LaPalme Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:55:10 PDT Size: 5072 URL: <../attachments/19980830/c83c25ab/attachment.eml>