the problem with Danish women [?]

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Sun Aug 30 17:09:19 PDT 1998

I don't know any feminist that argues that there was no patriarchy in pre-capitalist societies, in fact usually the problem I have is quite the other way around, that not enough distinction is made between capitalist patriarchy and other forms of patriarchy.

There surely is what Sandra Harding has called a "curious coincidence" between the epistemological and discursive roots of modern patriarchy and modern racism, and Carolyn Merchant and others also add the domination of nature to the list as well. And then we add the role of these epistemological and discursive factors in the rise of capitalism and associated ideologies, the relation of these forms of domination and exploitation in the rise of capitalism, the timing of it all, and there is certainly to my mind something there that can't be easily dismissed.

But Doug may be getting at something, which people like Ynestra King have been saying for a long time, that accepting the dualisms and simply reversing the judgement of what is "good" and what is "bad" is still buying into the false dichotomies, is still being locked intiot eh very framework one is trying to critique. I agree with this.

Mat