you are an Elizabeth

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 30 18:40:08 PDT 1998

The cop thread has me all hot and heavy. Here's my recent modest contribution to gender studies! The post subject title if from Elizabeth Bishop's poem "In the Waiting Room." I think I got the line right, maybe not though, just going on memory.

Knock, Knock

Another gorgeously fraught room, audience to airs of wilting bloom,

her parachute's imploding slow motion--her touching down--drawn up,

dissolve in time to interrupt neither transaction (there were two

relationships, two paper dolls).

Another classic me and you arrangement, point blank as the walls

each pair of stenciled petals clasps. And so he came to dream himself

the room, the keyhole to the room another coextensive dream.

And so we all could take our seats.

-Alec