[PEN-L:1346] Sign of the Times

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Mon Aug 31 10:59:24 PDT 1998

At 01:41 PM 8/31/98 -0400, Louis Proyect wrote:
>Returning to my office from the excellent Labyrinth Bookstore, I ran into a
>geezer--by the looks of him, he was even older than me--who sat at table on
>the sidewalk in front of Columbia University's main entrance. He was
>selling a book titled "The Capitalist Manifesto" that he wrote and
>published himself. ...
>He then proceeded to give me a long spiel on how the Russian problems are
>rooted in their failure to apply Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nation"
>faithfully. I laughed out loud. ...
>This seems to be the approaching fate of capitalist ideologues. They will
>sit by themselves in front of Ivy League universities trying to recruit a
>misguided and unhappy freshman student.

I wish. But why do they need to sit in front when they have offices in the Economics Department?

Also, the alternative to the free market ideology that seems most likely to take over at this point is WASP ethnic nationalism or something like that. The "capitalist manifestarians" might actually look good in comparison, even though they were so important in creating the conditions that spawned the New Racial Order.

>Or they will sell capitalist
>newspapers in front of plant-gates early in the morning with headlines like
>"Capitalist renewal is around the corner. THE TIME TO ORGANIZE IS NOW! Join
>the Republican/Democratic Party."

these folks don't want anyone to join political parties. Rather, they want Alan Greenspan to be the Enlightened Technocrat King, with the Cato Institute as the Guardian Intellectuals.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html