First world syphilis

Roland Chrisjohn, Ph. D. rjohn at treaty7.org
Mon Aug 31 12:52:52 PDT 1998

Sorry, but this took me a couple of days to run down. It arose out of a discussion thread I have deleted, but may still be informative to someone out there.

"Columbus and the Indians," by Theodore Rosebury, was printed first in the April, 1974 issue of MONTHLY REVIEW and reprinted in the July-August, 1992.

Concerning whether syphilis was an American export to Europe, he writes: "I am even more convinced that the old story is a myth and ought to be discarded (p.61-62)." After his thoughtful examination of historical evidence in light of his medical knowledge, he concludes: "If I were voting on a jury I would hold out for acquittal of the American Indian (p. 69)."

R. Chrisjohn