hip hop & Butler

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 1 03:43:29 PST 1998

Paula said:

>Anyway, there's nothing out-of-the-box or subversive
about freaknik, as far
>as the kids go.

Well apparently the cops think its subversive for large amounts of blacks to get together. And worse, that they're driving around in nice shiny new cars and wearing kewl clothes, cause that means they're uppity. The point isn't that they necessarily resist mainstream values per se, but that they take over public space and reappropriate it for their own purposes. Early Freaknik surely did this. Oh and the national Harley Rally in South Dakota is a good place to see da police cracking white people's heads.

So, my best guess is that the author is Butler, the chosen text is _Psychic Life of Power_ Frances, what is an archon--somethnig you mentioned w/ regard to you alum reading group. Charles, don't do this just cause you wouldn't want to be thought of as AntiSnit. Goshes, I wouldn't want that one bit. But, you must promise me one thing: you must stop saying that the academy isn't real and that any place outside the academy is real or, at least, more real than the academy. When 50% of the population goes to college it doesn't seem a good idea to write off an entire 'place' as not or less real than some place else. And, this claim also suggests that this place--the academy--isn't also a work place, a work place which produces knowledge, but also produces workers.

SnitgrrRl