Richard Dawkins: Favorite Book (fwd)

Sam Pawlett epawlett at uniserve.com
Tue Dec 1 09:12:23 PST 1998

" In the case of Lacan, for example, it's going to sound unkind-my frank opinion is that he was a self-conscious charlatan, and was simply playing games with the Paris intellectual community to see how much absudity he could produce and still be taken seriously. I mean that quite literally. I knew him." 'Noam Chomsky; An Interview'. Radical Philosophy Aug. 1989, pg 32. Dawkins is an asshole too. In his introduction to the latest edition of Maynard Smith's(ex-marxist, ex-CP'er) Theory of Evolution, he praises the use of game theory in evolutionary biology as a bulwark against the "political correctness" that has invaded the discipline. I suspect this is a cheap shot at Levins&Lewontin's work as well as others like Sandra Harding. Says a lot about the background assumptions of game theory too. Sam Pawlett.