World Bank memos

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Wed Dec 2 08:03:26 PST 1998

Hi again, Brad,

I agree things are complicated as things stand, but the way I read Summers' argument, he was saying the World Bank should help the migration of dirty industry to LDCs because it made economic sense. Like I said, he is a more forthright and honest pig than some of his gutless peers.

An Uneducated Speculation: The dirty enterprise that actively migrates, must be migrating from the first world, no? That'd likely make it first-world-owned, no? That'd mean first-world corporations would wear the cost of 'best practice' controls, no? So moving 'em to the LDCs is just a way these corps get to avoid an investment they'd have to make in California.

Furthermore, geosectoral (is that a word?) allocations like this, entrench ever worse dependency relationships, in that the cancerous locals are definitively enmeshed in low value-added enterprise (by Summers' own logic - and wasn't this why the Bank's famous Green Revolution campaign hit the wall back in the early '80s?), where profits are definitively expatriated, and environment equally definitively robbed of all kinds of 'utility' (I s'pose this is an 'opportunity cost'?). So the locals seem to confront the choice between, as you rightly put it: 'keeping people in developing economies poor so they won't pollute very much... ' and, as I might put it, 'keeping people in "developing" economies poor while they do pollute very much'.

An Unimpeachably Sourced Stat: Henwood, D. had it that the WB had just coughed up $7 billion in interest and fees to the its bankers, leaving a $1.2 billion surplus. Would Summers have been in any worse trouble if he'd divided the cost of said pollution-control plant into a chunk of that $8.2 billion per annum?

Cheers, Rob.

You'd wriiten: