More Rich Stats

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Dec 2 10:33:36 PST 1998

Citizens for Tax Justice says 8.1% of tax returns show income over $100,000. As noted above, many don't have to file returns (there's about 120 million a year total).

Of course, many returns are for households that include additional earners and dependents.

Brad the Acorn Gatherer asked:

Do we know where the top of the fourth family income quintile was for two-adult households aged 40-49?

The answer is still no, but this gets a little closer--

The average 'family economic income' for "families age 40-50" in the 70-80 percentiles (e.g., the eighth decile) was $54,722 in 1994 (Gale, Houser, Scholz) Without the imputations in FEI, this would of course be lower.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be so informative to the list, but I'm working with these numbers right now.

mbs