World Bank memos

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Wed Dec 2 19:36:41 PST 1998

Dear Doug and the LBOers,

Tom Kruse pretty much lays out in his description of a Bolivian glass factory the idea that I was trying to get across in an earlier post on the same subject.

The factory that Tom describes has no pollution control and this is reflected in both the unsafe conditions and the general environment of the site. Worker safety and health are nonexistent. I'd be willing to bet that their are more deadly conditions present than Tom's tour picked up on---things that we know about in this country that they are ignorant of in Bolivia. Ignorance can be bliss, it also can kill you.

Pollution control equipment generally breaks down into two general categories. WQC which is water quality control, and, AQC which is air quality control. There are small scale inexpensive solutions for small plants like the one Tom describes. There are safety solutions for the safety problems that Tom describes. Here too we are talking small scale and a minimum of investment.

So that makes me think that the business community is stupid and greedy. The engineering community is ignorant and incompetent. The government is military feudal. And the countries philosophy is pre-reformation.

Sincerely, Tom Lehman