Phalluses, Assholes & Dawkins' favorite book

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:53:25 PST 1998

>Ingrid Multhopp wrote:
>>

>> Alec Ramsdell wrote:
>>
>> Steve Perry wrote:
>>
>> >In other words, a cigar is never *really* just a cigar.
>>
>> At least we know that within Freudian and Lacanian pyschoanalysis a
>> phallus is not a clitoris or a penis, erect or otherwise. I don't
read
>> any epistemic relativism in the quote from Lacan. It's about,
broadly,
>> a psychoanalytic theory of signification.
>>
>> Yes, but (aside from the point that Lacan was at least being unclear
in
>> cite mentioned) the discussion of that quote had nothing to do with
>> "epistemic
>> relativism"--which is addressed in another section of the book.

My "epistemic relativism" comment was addressed to the cigar comment.

That
>> quote

Which quote?

was simply used to point out that Lacan's use of mathematical
>> metaphors, whatever their value in putting forth a psychoanalytical
>> theory of signification--and if it works for you, then great!--are
>> complete
>> garbage as mathematics.

I'm not endorsing Lacan. I'm reading him however, and the phallic signification in question seems to me to make "woman" a symptom of man (a la Butler). That's what I'm interested in right now, among other things. Plus I just can't get over that Courbet painting he had in his office. Shrinks sure are wacky. What a hoot.

The math that I've come across in Lacan doesn't bother me, nor do I think it in any way central to his work. So I read on to what's more relevant to the work I'm doing.

As for it working for me, well--I just fake it 'til I make it.

Until then I'm letting go letting God.

-Alec (former heroin addict, current Intellectual Imposter)