RY COODER, LEFTIST?

JayHecht at aol.com JayHecht at aol.com
Sat Dec 5 14:12:13 PST 1998

<< Modesty is right, the only thing

wrong with Cooder is I always want to highjack the sound board and turn his

mic up. He and his wife were very gracious when we spoke to them.

Anyone know Cooder's politics. On his first couple of albums he sure does

a lot of stuff, sympathtic to working class. "One Meatball" and "I Got

Mine", etc.

Boz Scaggs, who had a hit or two, late 70's I think, had some really tasty

stuff on Columbia, years before. You could find them in cut-outs. Do they

still have those with CD's? One was Moments, another I have is just called

Boz Scaggs and Band, I think. Haven't realphabetized since I got

re-turntabled. >>

Just when I was getting eye fatigue, I saw this gem of a posting!

Yeah - Ry Cooder was THE definitive white blues musician of this century, until a young man named Duane Allman came along and (temporarily) supplanted him. Scaggs in fact, was going to use Cooder on his "Loan Me A Dime" album, but Jerry Wexler urged him to use Duane Allman. Muddy Waters (THE definitve Chicago bluesman) said that Duane was one of the best bottleneck slide players he had ever seen Unfortunately, you may remember that Duane died in a motorcycle accident just three weeks shy of his 25th birthday.

Maybe Louis P has explored the link between white blues musicians and black economic progress in the US economy. Maybe there's not much to explain, but whites who "broke the color line" - Booker T and the MGs clearly did have an impact in the 60s in getting white kids to think about race. Problem is, I suspect they forgot about it once they all started listening to Kenny G etc.

jason