Article on Pinochet

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 12:20:42 PST 1998

Thanks to Tom and Sol for their comment on my article - especially since Sol's collection State and Capital (with John Holloway, Edward Arnold publishers, 1978) was one of the first books that really got me into Marxism, and still has pride of place on my bookshelves.

I hope I am not insensible to the difficulties faced by the Chilean left, nor the opportunities offered by the re-opening of the debate. There's nothing I would like more than to be proved wrong, in this instance.

My fear, though, is that on the terrain of human rights diplomacy, the relative weakness of the left is just what makes it possible for the ascendance of an ideologically perverted human rights discourse, whose practical content favours the subordination of the third world.

fraternally -- Jim heartfield