Tobacco and capitalism.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 6 13:16:14 PST 1998

Chris Burford wrote:

>Drugs of addiction make for a particularly reactionary brand of capitalism
>- I am thinking of alcohol and caffeine (as in Cola), as well as nicotine.
>
>Forces are gathering against the capitalist control of nicotine.

Oh please Chris. Liberals love hot rhetoric about tobacco capital; it makes them feel militant without taking much social risk. But the reasons people smoke are a hell of a lot more complicated than the evil machinations of Big Business. Fuck this moral police stuff. It belongs with Clinton and Blair and other meddlers.

You're a psychoanalyt, aren't you? Surely you must know something about the complexities of desire that lead people to cigrettes. Or are you one of those American-style mental hygienists?

Doug