World Bank memos

Henry C.k. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 8 06:56:18 PST 1998

Enzo:

Citing the past does not say much about the future. No one disputes that capitalism has made contribution to human civilization, although a debate to evaluate the balance between positive and negative impacts is still open. Marx acknowledged capitalism as a necessary phase in economic history, just as theocracy and monarchy once did. The question is whether capitalism has a future. There are indisputable data to support the conclusion that in order for capitalism to continue, it needs either a new imperialism or recurring depressions or recurring wars, none of which represents a price the majority of the world's population seem prepare to pay. Modern capitalism was saved not by New Deal progressive measures, but by WWII. After the War, the Cold War's militarization of the peace kept capitalism going with recurring but relatively mild recessions. Since the end of the Cold War, capitalism has been seeking to launch a new economic imperialistic regime. The regime is given the benign name: "globalization" which essentially describes the globalization from the West on behalf of its moneyed class, at the expense of the rest of the world. Of course, as with its earlier version of imperialistic colonialism, the new economic imperialism leaves some room for elevating the absolute living standards of the oppressed, so that its apologists can make misleading arguments of its merit, while the gap between rich and poor continues to widen as with the gap between the powerful and the oppressed . Quoting the Communist Manifesto in praise of capitalism is the height of sophistry. I can also selectively quote from the Bible out of context to praise the devil, except fortunately for you I don't own a Bible.

Peace with progress

Henry