It's a Battlefield Out There, Culturally Speaking by Edward Rothstein (FWD from NY Times)

Henry C.k. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 8 13:20:53 PST 1998

It seems to me that Voltaire had more of an infatuation than an understanding of Confucianism. Thus he was able to be unknowingly selective in his interpretation of Confucianism to fit his own enlightenment ideas. This is not a criticism of Voltaire, for Confucius himself did the same with the Zhou culture that he admired indiscriminately. Confucius has been compared with Plato. It is an interesting undertaking, because Aristotle, Plato's star student who professed greater love for "truth" more than for his master, was generally considered as the father of Western science. Henceforth, an unspokenobjective of Western science has ben to refute previous truth. There is an element in all cultures (some more than others) that considers science and technology as the tools of evil. From the devil who tempted Christ to Faust's devil who has the power to determine fate but not free will, to the common expression: clever as the devil, to Oppenheimer's guilt for his key role in the production of the atomic bombs. There are, of course, many similar examples in Confucian and Buddhist culture. China did not produce a philosophical equivalent of Aristotle and some historians attribute this to the subsequent failure of Chinese culture to develop a scientific approach to knowledge, thus resulting in momentous political implications when China came into contact with a technological West. Of course the question of whether Aristotle created the scientific mentality, or the scientific mentality produced him is still open to debate. One of the difficulty Marxism faces is related its insistence on a scientific base of objective materialistic determinism while it aims toward an ideal society. Confucianism has no such conflict and therefore is more immune to attack on rational grounds.

Henry C.K. Liu