Judy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 8 14:25:31 PST 1998

Louis Proyect wrote:

>Judith Schapiro, the President of Barnard, is a well-established feminist
>scholar who writes about transgender issues. When the primarily
>African-American clerical staff organized by the UAW went on strike to
>defend their health insurance gains, she tried to break their strike. Class
>matters in the final analysis and the pomos try to bury it. The most
>compelling indictment of all these pomos is that their profile in political
>struggles, as opposed to their output to prestigious journals, is nearly zero.

I don't know what position JB takes on strikes. Does anyone? Dick Walker, the fine Marxist geographer at Berkeley, had nothing but good things to say about her, including her activism.

>Between Spartacist League super-dogmatism and Judith Butler, I guess I can
>understand why Doug would choose the latter.

Thank god life doesn't consist of just that choice.

>However, genuine Marxism

Lots of ink has been spilled (and photons excited) over distinguishing the genuine from the fake in Marxism. Malecki and Rodwell do it all the time too. I think you mean the kind of Marxism you like, which has a lot in common with the Marxism I like.

Doug