Reading Judy .. Judith wouldn't like it

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 8 19:46:33 PST 1998

I took it that the addition of "Judy" [in questions addressed to her] was an effort to dislodge me from the more formal "Judith" and to recall me to a bodily life that could not be theorized away. There was a certain exasperation in the delivery of that final diminutive, a certain patronizing quality which (re)constituted me as an unruly child, one who needed to be brought to task, restored to that bodily being which is, after all, considered to be most real, most...

Judith Butler, *Bodies That Matter* (London: Routledge, 1993), pp. ix-x.

Carrol