Fw: UC-system T.A. Strike Update (fwd)

Adam Stevens a_ste at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 9 10:51:33 PST 1998

At 10:13 AM 12/8/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> CONTACT: Connie Razza of UCLA SAGE-UAW (310) 208-2429 or
>> Scott Prudham of UC Berkeley AGSE-UAW, (510) 549-3863 or
>> Frank Joyce of UAW (313) 926-5297
>>

>> The following news release was issued by the UAW:
>>
>> UAW Academic Unions at University of California Agree to Recess Strike:
>> Talks to Begin Within 10 Days>>

Today's "Daily Californian" (UC Berkeley's student paper) reported (perhaps prematurely) that neither side is willing to change its position and that the talks will likely go nowhere. In other words, the University has stated a priori that it will not recognize the AGSE -- talks or no talks. Personally, I think that the UC will "negotiate" with them until after they grade the final exams and then they'll let the talks fall apart.