Village Voice reviews Sokal-Bricmont

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Dec 9 07:06:22 PST 1998

Rakesh,

I am not sure that you will succeed in persuading Justin concerning the merits of Marx's LTV but an interesting move, nonetheless, since Carl Hempel was one of Justin's teachers at Princeton. It is also noteworthy that G.A. Cohen in his _Karl Marx's Theory of History_ drew heavily upon Hempel's exposition of covering law models of scientific explanations in developing his own analysis of historical materialism. Cohen, BTW, like most AMs that I know of is a skeptic concerning the LTV.

I also wonder how well a defense of Marx's theory of value will go over with supporters of the theory since it seems to me that many of the strongest defenders of the theory tend also to be quite hostile to the type of logical empiricism that Hempel adhered to.

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]