mortgage rate-history

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 9 07:50:54 PST 1998

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net wrote:

>Can any of you tell me where I can look--on the 'net--for an overview of
>mortgage rates since the 1950s. I seem to recall that when I was in the
>market for a house this summer, that the rates were the lowest they been
>since the fifties. Am I right?

The Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis has a bunch of time series; the mortgage history - which begins in 1964 - is <http://www.stls.frb.org/fred/data/irates/fha30>. The Fed's Board of Gov's has a series beginning in 1971, at <http://www.bog.frb.fed.us/releases/H15/data/m/cm.txt>. Note that neither the regional Fed nor the Board uses the .gov suffix.

Doug