gusanos (was Re: Wellstone & Bradley)

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Wed Dec 9 01:25:19 PST 1998

On Tue, 08 Dec 1998 10:59:06 -0500 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:

>Perhaps it was because there were lots of gusanos in New Jersey,
>the same people who back Torricelli, another contra backer.

The high percentage of gusanos both in Jersey and in Miami just goes to show you the limits of identity politics. Having spent my childhood and early adolescence in Miami, I can tell you that the Cuban oligarchy treats Blacks and all other Latinos like shit, but when election time comes, they milk the "Latino identity" nonsense for all it's worth.

My mother is a Cuban who came here *before* the revolution, so you can imagine the sort of verbal abuse that used to get heaped on her whenever she'd mention the revolution's positive accomplishments or dared to suggest that things were worse under Battista. I guess we're damn lucky our house didn't get blown up.

As far as the gusano/Contra connection goes, you might mention that the earliest anti-Sandinista propaganda came from Shirley Christian during her stint at the Miami Herald (which for some bizarre reason has the reputation of being a "liberal" paper).

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]