d-m-c's query re mortgage rates

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Wed Dec 9 09:56:43 PST 1998

I looked for this data too and also drew a blank. I did read in Kindleberger's World in Depression that in the 1930s there were no 30 year mortgages. They had some kind of 3 year mortgage that was payable in full at the end of 3 years, and I don't know exactly what that means, whethere there was some kind of automatic rollover. He doesn't explain it. But it is the case that mortgage rate history is likely to be more ocmplex than other commercial rates. The technical construction of mortgages has varied. Moreover, even today the "national rate" reported in the press from time to time represents an average of "30 ytear conventional mortgages" with those who pay points average in with those who don't. This means that the ave4rage national mortgage rate is lower than the zero point 30 year conventional mortgage, which to my mind ought to be the benchmark.

-gn

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298