too much nature in New York

Wed Dec 9 12:28:49 PST 1998

>There have been some noises about re-introducing
>wolves. This has raised no small amount of opposition
>in the Adirondack forests and would I think turn into
>outright hysteria in the suburban zones. Not to
>mention thaht people will start hitting wolves with
>their cars.

We have coyotes. I recently learned that in deer-intensive regions (like Tilden Park, behind U.C. Berkeley) coyotes form packs: the cubs stay with the parents for several years and hunt together in packs of 5 to 8.

We saw a group of three (coyotes, not deer) in our backyard last week. The Labrador then found a deer foreleg--up to the shoulder blade, with fur, skin, meat, and hoof still attached--in the creekbed 50 yards from our house.

Since a coyote weighs twice as much as the five year old, a pack of eight coyotes...

Brad DeLong