too much nature in New York

Wed Dec 9 14:13:13 PST 1998

>>We have coyotes. I recently learned that in deer-intensive regions (like
>>Tilden Park, behind U.C. Berkeley) coyotes form packs: the cubs stay with
>>the parents for several years and hunt together in packs of 5 to 8.
>>
>>Brad DeLong
>
>Last month's Harpers had an excellent article by David Quammen, which was
>based on interviews with biologists and other scientists. They said that
>based on current projections, something like 80% of the plant and animal
>species will have disappeared by the end of the 21st century. It is a
>period of the greatest rate of extinction since the dinosaur age.
>
>The animals who will remain are those who exist in symbiosis with homo
>sapiens, who while organized on the basis of private property, is
>destroying ecosystems left and right. These animals tend to be scavengers
>who feed on roadkill, garbage, etc. left over from capitalist consumption.
>The species who will probably survive with us include:
>
>1) Pigeons
>2) Rats
>3) Crows
>4) Seagulls
>5) Cockroaches
>6) Rats
>7) Mice
>8) Coyotes
>9) Dogs
>10) Cats, etc.
>
>Louis Proyect

Raccoons, turkey vultures, deer, opossums, squirrels, doves, peregrine falcons (to prey on the pigeons, unless the carbon-free energy generating windmills out in the Altamont Pass get them).

Yes. It's going to be interesting even if we manage to stabilize world population at 12 billion. If it hits 20 billion by 2100, it will be a much-impoverished world...

Brad DeLong