Peter Evans, state actors and economic development

Wed Dec 9 15:51:17 PST 1998

Nathan, if I follow your argument below, what you are arguing is that opposed to method of capitalist guerilla warfare, private initiative and competition--as Preobrazenskii referred to them--state organized investments are superior because they can set off a chain connection in the movement of the whole complex? I know I am not getting you exactly right or being clear.

It seems that you are making a connection between the necessity of expanding simultaneously on a broad front in the development of technology and the superiority of state led investments in doing so. Or simply put, that a state form of ownership makes possible the application of higher form of technology than is possible under private capitalism? But then why did the Soviet Union suffer from technological backwardness?

yours, rakesh