Que pasa con Chavez

rayrena rayrena at accesshub.net
Thu Dec 10 08:10:43 PST 1998

LBOers,

Sorry for the probably butchered, literally translated Spanish, but I was wondering if the LBO men in South America could give us some insight into this Hugo Chavez, who was elected el presidente de Venezuela a few days ago. All I really know about him is from The New York Times, which wrote things like:

"To business leaders and international investors, Mr. Chavez is the red menace resurrected. To the poor, he is the impatient savior who is already smashing the clubby machine of mutual favors at the top of Venezuelan politics." AND

"Mr. Chavez's role in trying to overthrow the Government of President Carlos Andres Perez [in a 1994 coup attempt that earned Chavez a little jail time] , his vitriolic oratory and his support for Cuba have terrified upper-class Venezuelans, who have been sending their money and other assets out of the country for fear of a Chavez victory."

Does any of this approach reality? Or is it typical establishment paranoia about anyone to the left of, say, Mitterand?

Tom, Roberto, anyone?

eric