It's a Battlefield Out There

Thu Dec 10 21:20:36 PST 1998

First, an apology to Justin. I should not have used the word ad hoc. In his last post, Justin would differentiate between analytical and value theoretic explanations. It's not clear to me what work analytical is doing. It seems that explanation on the basis of the law of value is what Justin is ruling out while recommending good--not ad hoc, not contigent--explanations broadly consistent with historical materialism in their place. Again, what Justin means by analytic I do not understand, but this should stimulate me to read his published work.

If Justin still objects to this characterization, I will of course reconsider. And since I have only read some of Cohen's essays in History, Labor and Freedom, not the big book, I have not read Justin's reply. It was Jim F who (I think) suggested the influence of Hempel on Cohen.

I am confused by Justin's argument that Hempel gave up the distinction between theoretical and observational terms in 1965. I refer him to the publication of that year Aspects of Scientific Explanation, esp the essay The Theoretician's Dilemma. Though written in 1958, there is no postscript retracting the argument. Where does Hempel abandon it? Why did the rest of the profession abandon it? At any rate, doesn't value in Marx's theory have the properties of what Hempel calls a theoretical term? yours, rakesh